Through YWCA’s South King County (SKC) expansion, Healthy Birth Outcomes (HBO) will continue to support medically underserved pregnant and parenting women, with a particular emphasis on women of color, by helping these women access the care they need during and after pregnancy. Many of the pregnant and parenting mothers YWCA serve are unfamiliar with accessing the health care system and have not been consistently insured prior to pregnancy. Managing these life circumstances can impact a woman’s ability to successfully access healthcare and can increase stress during pregnancy and parenting. In year three, HBO Advocates will continue to regularly meet one-on-one with clients to engage in the following activities:
• Support clients with health care navigation, appointment preparation and transportation planning
• Educate clients about the role of different medical specialists
• Provide ongoing case management through regular one-on-one in-home meetings with clients
• Connect clients to community resources, including housing, mental health counseling and infant supplies (e.g. clothing, diapers and formula)
• Accompany clients to medical appointments and legal proceedings
• Educate clients about various health parenting topics including pregnancy nutrition, breastfeeding, infant care and physical transitions after pregnancy
• Emotionally support clients
In year three, YWCA will focus on further developing the partnership with the HealthPoint Auburn Clinic. The HBO Program Manager and Lead Advocate will continue working with the Clinical Lead of Obstetrics and their Referral Coordinator to enhance their referral system. This includes integration into existing prenatal screenings and care delivery to increase the identification of clients for referral early in their pregnancy. YWCA also plans on continuing to develop new partnerships with clinics to expand the referral base.
YWCA Seattle | King | Snohomish
The YWCA opens doors to opportunity and self-sufﬁciency for women and families facing poverty, violence and discrimination. With more than 100 years experience, the YWCA is the leading organization for moving women and families out of crisis and empowering them to achieve lasting independence.